June 14, 2021
Honest to Goodness Healthy Living
June 14, 2021
Front Porch Living
June 14, 2021
Rightsizing: Letting Go of the Unnecessary
June 7, 2021
Our Favorite Beach Destinations this Summer
June 7, 2021
Care-Free Living in a Cornerstone Home
June 3, 2021
The Grove's Great Location in Midlothian, VA
June 1, 2021
Saddle Up! Nothing but Cowboys
June 1, 2021
Get Social, Chickahominy Falls!
May 24, 2021
Cornerstone Homes Communities - What's Happening
Too Darn Hot to Cook Recipes
The hot summer days are almost here. And living in a Cornerstone Homes community has many advantages and opportunities to stay cool and just be cool. First, you can walk out your door and take a dip in the cool water of the luxurious community pool. Second, you can meet up with your friends and neighbors at the many outdoor recreation areas just steps from your door. Inviting areas such as the covered pavilion, the pool deck with shaded areas, or your private patio, screened porch, covered front porch, or courtyard! So grab some beverages and food and you are ready to connect with your friends.
Speaking of hot, when the summer temperatures soar, the last thing you want to do is turn on that oven, right? So we have gathered a few summer delicious recipes to make when it’s just too darn hot to cook! These are perfect for a luncheon or dinner and perfect to be shared with your next door neighbor.
Two-Pea Pesto Chicken Salad
- 1 store bought rotisserie chicken (or a homemade whole roast chicken)
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 6 ounces basil pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 heaping cup frozen peas, thawed (Or fresh from Woodside Farms)
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped sugar snap peas
Pull all the meat from the chicken and place in a large bowl. This will feel a little barbaric; embrace it. With two forks, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces. Roughly chop any large pieces of skin that remain, and add them back to the bowl.
Add the yogurt and pesto; season with salt and pepper. Stir to thoroughly coat. Then fold in both kinds of peas. Recipe can also be viewed here.
Corner Deli Sandwich
Serves: 4 sandwiches
- Rosemary Ham
- 4 Fresh Ciabatta buns
- 4 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 4 Tbsp Honey or Maple Mustard (something with a bit of sweetness is the key here)
- 3 leaves Romaine Lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 8-12 pickled pepperoncini’s, stem removed
Halve buns. Spread a healthy bit of mayonnaise on one side and a good amount of mustard on the other.
Layer meat, tomato, lettuce and pepperoncini’s. Recipe can also be viewed here.
Firey Schezwan Peanut and Chili Zucchini Noodles
- 1/2 pound spaghetti/linguine or sub more zucchini for gluten free if needed
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup tahini sesame seed paste
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey use brown sugar if vegan
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hot chili oil*
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil*
- 1/4 cup coconut milk lite or regular
- 3 medium size zucchinis spiralized using a veggie spiralizer
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 6 baby bell peppers sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 hot pepper sliced (red or green both work)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and keep pasta hot.
Meanwhile, combine the peanut butter and tahini in a large serving bowl and whisk until combined. Whisk in the soy sauce, honey, lime juice, hot chili oil, toasted sesame oil and coconut milk.
To the bowl, add the zucchini noodles, peanuts, sesame seeds, basil, cilantro, baby bell peppers and tomatoes. Now add the hot pasta. Toss well to combine. The hot pasta should warm the peanut sauce and make it easier to coat the noodles.
Pasta can be served warm or cold. Top with hot pepper slices, basil and peanuts if desired. EAT! Recipe can also be viewed here.
Asian Tuna Melt Nachos
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- chili powder (optional)
- 2 5-ounce (140g) canned albacore tuna in water (I used Bumble Bee)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 green onion, chopped (green part only)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces (115g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa (optional)
- 1/2 cup guacamole (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Brush 2 large baking sheets with olive oil. I used about 1 tablespoon.
Brush one side of the tortillas with olive oil, making sure to get the edges moistened. Arrange all the oiled tortillas into one stack. Chop the tortillas in half, and chop each half down the middle. Chop each quarter in half so that you get 8 stacks of tortillas.
Arrange the tortilla pieces on the greased baking sheets in one layer. Sprinkle salt and chili powder (if you’re using it) on the tortilla pieces. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
Make the tuna salad while the tortillas are baking. Drain the tuna. In a bowl, mix the tuna, sesame oil, fish sauce, celery, red pepper, red onion, green onion, and cilantro. Season with some pepper and additional salt, if necessary.
When the chips are finished, spread them all out on one baking sheet. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling. Pull the chips out of the oven and spread tuna salad on top. Add the salsa and guacamole on top. Serve immediately. Recipe can also be viewed here.
We hope you give these a try and invite your neighbors over for a fun time . After all, everyone loves to break bread together and share a meaningful connection over a meal. And just maybe you can find some of these ingredients in a Cornerstone Homes community Corner Patch Garden or at Woodside Farms in Chickahominy Falls. Cornerstone Homes believes that honest-to-goodness healthy living means happier living. That’s why we have redefined life in our 55+ communities through a commitment to healthy living and special amenities that balance play with purpose. This is the place you need to be!