September 17, 2019
Villa Style Homes - The Farmstead at Chickahominy Falls!
September 16, 2019
Harvest the Love in the Corner Patch Gardens
September 9, 2019
Long Time Friendships at The Cove
September 6, 2019
Woodside Farms at Chickahominy Falls- Events, Classes, and What's Growing!
September 5, 2019
Beautiful Fall Trips to Take in Virginia
August 20, 2019
Buy New, Stay Cool! Energy Efficient Homes | Cornerstone Homes
August 19, 2019
The Amenity That Keeps On Growing and Giving | Summer in the Corner Patch Garden
August 14, 2019
What’s Growing at Woodside Farms | Cornerstone Homes at Chickahominy Falls
August 14, 2019
Eat Like A (Iron) Horse. A Restaurant Review.
Furniture Arrangement: 7 Quick Tips
1) Get out the measuring tape.The first step in arranging a space is determining its size. Use a tape measure to get the dimensions of a room. Or, a quick tip: Measure your foot and then walk heel to toe across the room. This is an easy way to estimate the basic size. Then, check the dimensions of the hallways, stairs and door widths leading to the space. This is the eternal challenge for a homeowner, being sure the entrance and egress of the room are large enough for potential purchases. The first step in arranging a space is determining its size. Use a tape measure to get the dimensions of a room. Or, a quick tip: Measure your foot and then walk heel to toe across the room. This is an easy way to estimate the basic size. Then, check the dimensions of the hallways, stairs and door widths leading to the space. This is the eternal challenge for a homeowner, being sure the entrance and egress of the room are large enough for potential purchases.
2) Mix furnishings of various sizes.Every object has a height, depth and width. To add visual interest to any space, incorporate a variety of furniture with different characteristics. If you're going for a serene, unchallenging area for rest or recovery, keep the furnishing volumes in a room similar. This rustic living space from HGTV Dream Home 2011 uses an extra-large sectional with small armchairs and side tables to create an energetic space with various volumes.
3) Use scaled pieces to create balance.The size of pieces relative to one another and the size of the space is their scale. Similarly scaled pieces are more serene when used together, but a nice balance of pieces creates a harmonious atmosphere, utilizing the differing physical qualities of height, depth and width throughout a room. When furnishings are out of scale, you'll notice that it just won't feel comfortable or right.
4) Form a healthy relationship.The relationship of items to one another to form a pleasing whole is called balance. There are two forms of balance: symmetrical and asymmetrical. Bilateral symmetry is like the human body: There are two of everything. Asymmetry refers to an imbalance, such as two candles of slightly different sizes next to each other. Symmetry is very restful, while asymmetry is used to add visual motion and excitement.
5) Use an artist's perspective.Look at your space as a painter looks at a work of art. There are visual tricks that painters use to create the appearance of depth in a space. You can use these tools, too.
The first trick painters use is "triangulation." In interior design, triangulation is the placement of two end tables on either side of a sofa with a painting above the sofa. If you can imagine this scenario, it is lower on the corners with the apex of the view just above midcenter at the top of the painting.