November 16, 2010
Am I Ready to Rightsize?? The Top Ten Fears!
This is the first in a series on Rightsizing Your Life
Top Ten Fears About Rightsizing:
1. Fear: I dread being forced to deal with contents of my home!
Antidote: Trust the wisdom of those who have gone down this road-- getting rid of clutter is liberating!!!
2. Fear: I feel really sad about letting go of big chunks of my past.
Antidote: Accept that the past is past. Letting go of it can lead to closing the book gently on a previous phase of life. Open new doors to new worlds and appreciate the advantages of the age you are now!
3. Fear: I'm afraid my kids would be upset if we changed or altered the family home.
Antidote: Discussing future housing scenarios with grown children can lead to surprising positive results.
4. Fear: I'm worried that any change I make might be the wrong one financially.
Antidote: Nothing is certain in life, but examining one's options usually leads to better financial decisions.
5. Fear: I'm afraid that any change I make might produce a worse result than the way I'm living currently.
Antidote: Carefully considered choices generally result in a better outcome, not a worse one.
6. Fear: I'm afraid that any change I would like to make will upset my spouse, sibling, parent, etc. and cause conflicts between us.
Antidote: Conflicts with loved ones are inevitable. openly discussing possible changes and options can lead to compromise and consensus.
7. Fear: I don't like change because the unknown frightens me.
Antidote: The one constant in life is change. It's okay to be frightened, but seek out better solutions anyway.
8. Fear: I'm worried that if I bring up the subject of making a change in our living situation I"ll end up being forced into doing something I don't want to do.
Antidote: Slavery has been abolished. No one can make anyone else do something they don't want to do unless they give their permission.
9. Fear: I'm afraid what other people will think if we move to something smaller.
Antidote: Some 60 percent of seventy-seven million baby boomers are expected to make at least one more move, so the people whose opinions you're worried about are likely to be envious of the well-ordered life you've created for yourself!
10: Fear: I'm worried that making these changes means facing up to my own mortality.
Antidote: As one wag puts it, "Nobody gets outta here alive!" We're born; we eventually die. Rightsizing will help us make the most of what we have now!
From the book, Rightsizing Your Life by Ciji Ware
NEXT WEEK'S TOPIC: YOUR READY TO RIGHTSIZE WHEN.......
Be sure to check back next week!!